Author Topic: From proud Lion to dead Parrot  (Read 2486 times)

Offline Expo

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
From proud Lion to dead Parrot
« on: August 13, 2017, 10:39:01 am »
Hi all,
I have a problem that I would like some light shed on from this great community please.
After a short run out on Friday I was a 100 yards from home when the engine suddenly cut out completely.
When I checked the dash I noticed that the fuel gauge and temp' gauge were not showing ( the indicator blocks)
and when attempting to re-start the pre-start checks were not cycling on the dash either. All this and nothing on the starter button.
I've disconnected the battery to see if this may reboot the can bus but to no avail.
I've trawled the site for anything on here before and found hot start issues etc but nothing like this?
Any information you can give me would be appreciated
Andy

"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: From proud Lion to dead Parrot
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 11:24:10 am »
My money would be on the right hand side switch gear being the problem. The symptoms are the same as those experienced by one of the Old Gits a few years ago when in the south of France. Cool the right hand switch gear (ice in a plastic bag or some frozen peas if you feel extravagant) for an hour and try again.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 04:16:50 pm »
Are BMW Mottorad peas recommended or can spurious Findus or Tesco be used in an emergency ?
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 05:03:21 pm »
You would go into Tesco? Brave girl!

Someone else had more or less the same symptoms a few weeks ago and from memory the dealer changed the battery and declared it well but the symptoms continued and then they changed the ignition switch and all was well this time! Or maybe they did the swaps the other way round 🙄

Found it, it was the other way round. It turned out to be the battery, they said! It was Devon and his K12S. Go here. Read that. Seewotyerfink!

http://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=2435.0

At least it is somewhere to start 😎

Offline Expo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 09:53:53 pm »
Thank you Brian, David and ehem...kim ;D
I'll try cooling the right hand switch gear.
Would a bad battery stop the bike engine whilst running ?
At least i have a few directions to go
Thanks again
Andy

Offline motomed

• View Profile
    • Motomed's Tours on Youtube
  • My K bike model:: 1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: USB port, Vario Touring Screen, Grip Puppies
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 01:07:47 pm »
Caveat: 'I know nothing' :P

Would a bad battery stop the bike engine whilst running ?
Few years ago when my k12 was new to me, I rattled down a hill to a light, and the bike conked out while idling there. One of the battery leads had disconnected. I always wonder what would have happened if I was rolling.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 03:13:16 pm »
It's the right switchgear.
Embrace the wind.

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1600 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Top case
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 06:41:07 pm »
There are 3 positions on the starter switch - press the top of it to start the engine, take your finger off the starter and ride the bike or press the bottom of the switch to kill the engine. When in the "kill" position the dashboard is exactly as you have described which leads me to think that the problem is probably a knackered switch.

New switch clusters are expensive (I paid about £350 for a new left hand switch cluster on my GT about 3 years ago) so I hope either this is not your problem or you are able to take it apart and clean it up.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Offline Andysdad

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 10:02:31 pm »
I agree - RH switchgear - had the same failure 2 months ago. Cost of switch and fitting was c.£160 although I have Ext Warranty so "only" £100 excess.

Wollaston said BMW is not giving Goodwill on switches anymore. If someone knows better, I'll get writing to HQ!

A

Offline Expo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 10:40:17 pm »
Thank you all gentlemen. I'll keep you posted how I get on.
Will have a go at stripping the R/H switch gear to see if there is anything I can do to clean it up
Andy

Offline ratty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 10:58:06 pm »
If the bike is 2009, possibly even later than that, then "goodwill" doesn't come into the equation. It is an official VOSA recall for safety reasons. Earlier K1300 RH switch gears had a fault that could lead to the engine cutting out, especially when the bike was leaned over. Hence not "goodwill".

I used to own a K1300 that had this very recall.

I would raise this with your dealer, and if they do not comply and fit a new switch free, I would go to VOSA.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 09:28:43 am »
Cleaning won't do a thing , The electronics are messed up by the supplier. 
The swich gear is a constant recall just go and get a new one, even if it had been replaced before. At the end if they create any fuss make sure that first or previus time the newest version was installed , reason for writing this, uk dealers (some would like to believe) were installing old version satisfying customers demand and on a later date after same issue occured installed the new version charging full amount, so dastardly.
Embrace the wind.