Author Topic: K1200S  (Read 131831 times)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
Re: K1200S
« Reply #510 on: July 10, 2019, 09:19:45 pm »
Ah all forgiven . While I was still in the" I'm sure I've got a bulb in the bag somewhere" mode,  it's started working again now.
However
It's done a swap with the front tps which has now gone AWOL  >:(

And in other news I will be joining the professional layabouts in early October after 39 years of training to see if all this guff about "I'm so busy I have no idea how I found time to go to work" is faintly true.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #511 on: July 10, 2019, 09:34:49 pm »

And in other news I will be joining the professional layabouts in early October after 39 years of training to see if all this guff about "I'm so busy I have no idea how I found time to go to work" is faintly true.

"The amount of time that one has to perform a task is the amount of time it will take to complete the task."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law (as a generalisation of)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #512 on: July 14, 2019, 09:26:45 am »
Top 5 , not bad fot a foreigner.
Embrace the wind.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #513 on: July 20, 2019, 09:59:29 am »

92000. Slowly slowly this year. Spending most of my time playing Dodgems on this bit of road between Amsterdam and schiphol

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 31, 2019, 12:21:40 pm »
So came back from holland on Friday night, 37.5C Betty swallocks  in amsterdam, 13C where did I put my extra layers on Bodmin moor, 570 miles with a wobbly front wheel and funny
front end, and soggy  brakes. So in to ocean today and diagnosed unbalanced front wheel, one side of the pads down to the metal, and the front shock is buggered. It only went into have the front TPS replaced.
In an attempt to get me to buy something new I have been given this for a couple of days, R1250RS Sport 136hp. Apparently not on sale yet, and a snip at £16250. Hmm. Will report back later.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 31, 2019, 12:32:42 pm »
Mustard! What sort of foul colour is that?
It looks underwhelming. And 1970s, in a bad way. But hipsters get want hipsters want, eh.

If they try and sell you one in that colour, ask for a discount.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 01, 2019, 08:59:40 am »
Quick blip to lands end along through penzance and then back along the B3306 and A30. Have to say I quite like this bike. Going out again before I have to give it back tonight

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #517 on: August 01, 2019, 04:35:12 pm »
Mustard! What sort of foul colour is that?
It looks underwhelming. And 1970s, in a bad way. But hipsters get want hipsters want, eh.

If they try and sell you one in that colour, ask for a discount.

There's also a brown one! Or stardust or something. They're channeling the... 70s is it? :P. We should expect vinyl roofs.

I rode the 1200 variety a couple months ago and quite liked it. Missenden Flyer fella says the 1250 is even less boxery, so I look forward to your thoughts.

"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 02, 2019, 10:39:20 am »
So it's my 60th today
So Ocean wanted the RS back and mine's not ready
So they brought this round as a swapsie

Might go out for a ride later

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 02, 2019, 11:09:29 am »
Whoppeee! Max speed and joint pain all in one compact package.

If I wasn't so tall & creaky, I'd probably buy one. I couldn't do it justice, but I'd certainly be prepared to give it a go.  8)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #520 on: August 02, 2019, 11:30:54 am »
Nice! :D

I found them the be less uncomfortable than I expected (although just as ballistically fast as I expected!). Having the opportunity to ride the R1250RS and the S1000RR within a day of each other see if this question comes into your head:

Why haven't BMW put the S1000RR engine into a bike with the R12500RS fairing/seating/luggage?

Such a bike would, for me, be the logical successor to the K1?00S. 200bhp, decent torque, light (for a sports tourer) weight and luggage!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 02, 2019, 12:02:22 pm »
I already asked myself this as my K does most of both. Just need a k13s and an fjr over the weekend, oh and a 1290gt.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 02, 2019, 12:09:04 pm »

Why haven't BMW put the S1000RR engine into a bike with the R12500RS fairing/seating/luggage?

Isn't that a X 1000 XR Sport SE with Panniers Touring Cases and ESA? (I had to look that bunch of letters up.)
Getting close to a K at 162 BHP. Throw some panniers cases in and ESA and it's £17k. Suddenly makes a K look OK value.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 06, 2019, 07:44:40 pm »
And so to the R1250RS Sport. That's Austin Yellow to you sir, none of this mustard thank you. Judging from the website and the value on the day insurance, it appears to have been a base model with lots of accessories. Its easy enough to swing a leg over, bit lower than the 1250GS I had a while back. Side stand irritatingly under the NS cylinder but I was getting used to groping for it after a couple of hours. LH switchgear as all standard in the RS and GS range. I find the Japanese style indicator button annoyingly small, I'm sure my old jap bike buttons were bigger. It would be nice if the array of buttons was backlit as thumbing the right button in the dark is difficult, I suppose you would learn eventually. The dash screen is nice although some of the font is pretty small, too small to take in in a glance, but the important stuff is clear enough. I like the rev counter display, and it gradually moves the red line up the range as the engine warms up.
Having fiddled about with everything I finally got out of the drive. Instant drive from the engine like the 1250GS , very easy and smooth to ride straight away. First junction nearly disappeared over the bars, the fork dive is dramatic, I do forget how little the K moves. The brakes are really good, very light to operate and powerful, reinforcing there is something not quite right with my K brakes. It was in road mode when I got it but as with the GS I did not like it, and it was into Dynamic very quickly.  Gave it the beans out of town and boy does it pull hard from very low down, a real shove up the backside in all gears. Overtaking is easy enough in roll on without shifting gears. However I sometimes got this weird feeling of surging/galloping which could be the active suspension.  Generally smooth without any noticeable vibration anywhere in the rev range that I can remember.  Cornering is fine but different to the K but quickly got used to it. Chucking it about on the B3306 at relatively low speeds was easy enough. Coming back up the A30 at speed I found the windscreen worked better in the low position and gave good protection well into 3 figures. Whether the protection in the wet is better then the old R1200RS was is difficult to say. The headlight is much better than the old one. I was very comfortable, the seat is nice, and the bars are a bit higher than the K and narrower than the GS, just comfortable, tank is easy to grip and slide around. The dash was saying 55mpg when I got home, and I had not been riding for economy.
Definite contender for a K replacement, but the model list and options definitely bears some investigation, its bloody complicated, but the other models come in less garish colours. The price of buying a new bike is a killer when you can get a second-hand K13 for 50-60% of the price though.

Of course the S1000RR is total different. First thing that struck me was the clutch adjuster that looked like something off my old SR500. Then I tried to get on it and nearly cricked something, may be I wasn't warmed up as it got easier later. Seat is a bit high and I felt perched on top of it, I was worried on our uneven drive I was going to tip it over. So light though compared with K, RS or GS. The bars are way lower than the K so initially I felt very awkward. The dash is smart but the text is very small, I eventually realised the funny squiggles in the middle were a lean angle indicator and G force indicator.
Mode was Rain, Sport or Track so I chose Sport and wobbled up the rooad. Having successfully got out of town I gassed it up the hill. I literally had to check at the next roundabout if the speedo was set to mph not kph. Off again having established those were miles not km I ran through the gears but found at low revs it was very buzzy/vibrating generally, so started to stay n the lower gears. Frankly 3rd does all you need.  The acceleration is addictive but tiring, and certainly in Cornwall you never get enough space to let it rip, consequently its on the gas on the brakes fast slow fast.
After half an hour I was starting to get used to it but felt I was only tickling the bottom end of its capability. My feet being tucked up under my bum even more so than on my K with the low seat was getting uncomfortable. I was able to move around on the seat a bit, but found that I needed to grip the tank with my knees pretty hard most of the time to keep the weight off my wrists. It may have been easier if I was moving around more but finding a piece of road that I could get to lean more than 39degrees without worrying about going too fast for the surface and or oncoming traffic was not happening. The brakes are excellent needless to say. This has been the first bike that I have ever felt I was in danger of falling off the back of and having to hold on tight. It is sooo quick. However there is no way I would want to ride it to Holland.

I've ridden the 1000XR and found it too frantic and after a short while uncomfortable as I was wedged in position unable to shuffle my bum. Going back to where is our K replacement, I think if they can squeeze another 15bhp out of the boxer you'll be near enough there, the 1000 4s are too sportsbike/race bike oriented. I want to go to the TT not win it. A detuned 1000 engine with more at lower revs might make sense. Remember the first Fazer with the detuned R1 engine? Maybe that's a better route for the 1000.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 10:01:14 pm by fjtwelve »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 06, 2019, 10:03:00 pm »
Fab review - had me laughing out loud 4 times:
> Having fiddled about with everything I finally got out of the drive.
> Then I tried to get on it and nearly cricked something...
> I literally had to check at the next roundabout if the speedo was set to mph not kph.
> I want to go to the TT not win it.
 ;D