Author Topic: Condensation  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Motorradpilot

• View Profile
Condensation
« on: September 15, 2022, 07:33:50 pm »
Condensation appeared inside my SatNav :'( after a lengthy ride in the rain, and the condensation lasted for a 2-3 days. But it’s disappeared after leaving the SatNav to dry inside the house for a week.

Should I be concerned?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Condensation
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 07:44:02 pm »
What sat nav do you have? In general it will be ok but once the waterproof barrier has been breached it's likely to happen again. I had a Tomtom replaced under warranty with this problem and it's been OK ever since.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 10:01:35 am by raesewell »

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 09:23:48 am »
And if it's a Garmin or BMW Navigator, have a look at these guys
https://www.gps-station.net/en/

Just got my Zumo 395 repaired - the USB socket was damaged. They did a top class job.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 11:44:55 am »
Condensation appeared inside my SatNav :'( after a lengthy ride in the rain, and the condensation lasted for a 2-3 days. But it’s disappeared after leaving the SatNav to dry inside the house for a week.

Should I be concerned?

Condensation was just about the only thing that didn't happen to my Zumo XT in Wales this week...

Offline Motorradpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 07:55:32 am »
What sat nav do you have?

It’s an old TomTom Rider (a 400, I think). It’s done many years of flawless service until this month’s condensation.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 08:28:11 am »
Ah I have the same nav. I recall a time when there was what looked like condensation appearing as a roughly elliptical strange effect in the middle half of the screen a year or two ago. Since then nothing. I'd love to suggest I put it in the microwave but I just huffed and moaned to myself a bit. If that approach solved problems we'd have world peace by now.

To answer your question: only be concerned if 300-500 GBP to replace it is a lot of money. Or if 200 GBP for a used one is a lot of money. Or if you've lost your wallet. And a new wallet is a lot of money.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2022, 10:45:30 am »
Come to think of it, my TomTom 550 also gets condensation inside if it is parked in the sun. Not 'in the Sun', that would not be good for it, but with the sun shining on it. I know you knew that, I'm just explaining...