Author Topic: Goodbye to the K1300s (MCN Article 2016)  (Read 406 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Goodbye to the K1300s (MCN Article 2016)
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 11:11:07 am »
See, before I got seduced back into big sports-tourer ownership with the K12S, I had had an R1150GS for ages and always swore I would ride it into the grave. Just not yet a while eh? It was cheap to run, simple to maintain and as long as you didn't try to ride it at K speeds on the motorways, it didn't give you white finger.

A well-ridden GS will stay with almost any big bike on the lanes and normal roads and I got sick of sports bike riders getting in my way in Wales, especially on roundabouts and hairpins in the hills where their inability to ride played right into my hands. And, with the 33litre adventure tank on it it only needed a fuel stop for every two of the others in the group.

It was all day comfortable, had great brakes, didn't dive under hard use and even with Metzeler Tourance tyres on it, it stuck to the road like tarmac. Well, better than tarmac these days. The noise with the BMW sports can on it was a little anti-social but it did wail when pushed.

It was great fun to own, service and ride and even truckers moved over when they saw the bloody great ugly thing bearing down on them, but.....

There is just something about the warp-speed performance of a big, smooth, universal, across the frame four that still tickles my fancy and maybe always will...

Seeing as I have a lunatic KTM 450 EXC in a county with no green lanes, maybe I should swap it for an old 1150GS as the bimble bike. I wouldn't really want a 1200 as there is too much tech getting in the way of the simplicity.

And if I do get too aged for the K then maybe the GS is the bike to ride into the grave after all 👹

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ilmberger hugger
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 11:42:47 am »
Damn it to heckery. I can see myself buying leg extensions and getting a GS before my next decade at this rate. I'm hoping I can bring myself to get an S1000RR or equivalent before then just so I can pretend to be... an idiot :D.

Loving the idea of a longer time between fuel stops still means i'm a cool kid yeah?

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 12:40:49 pm »
And I'm hoping they, BMW, will bring out a sports-touring K replacement in some form, i.e.
- long and stable
- not sat bolt upright
- min vibes
- panniers that aren't tin boxes

My guess, backed up by a recent purchase, is it will be at least 5 years or so.
Hey ho.

Of course, Sods law says in 5 years time I may want to sit more upright. Creaky back, knees, etc.

Offline Bruno

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 01:01:08 pm »
I am very happy with my GS, but I still miss the K's engine.
�If at first you don't succeed then skydiving definitely isn't for you.�

? Steven Wright

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: model 2011
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 01:09:28 pm »

A well-ridden GS will stay with almost any big bike on the lanes and normal roads and I got sick of sports bike riders getting in my way in Wales, especially on roundabouts and hairpins in the hills where their inability to ride played right into my hands. And, ...

Recognisable indeed. A fluent GS rider in front is always kind of a bigger "challenge", for the K, to follow on curvy roads, like e.g. mountains/hairpins.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 01:40:19 pm »
And I'm hoping they, BMW, will bring out a sports-touring K replacement in some form, i.e.
- long and stable
- not sat bolt upright
- min vibes
- panniers that aren't tin boxes

My guess, backed up by a recent purchase, is it will be at least 5 years or so.
Hey ho.

Of course, Sods law says in 5 years time I may want to sit more upright. Creaky back, knees, etc.

You don't have to have the skips on the side of a GS. Mine had sensible plastic BM kit with both touring (very wide) and city (very narrow) lids. They no longer do them but Givi are way more sensible for 'normal' non-globe-traversing use.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • Modifications and add-ons:: HID headlights and a hugger.
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2018, 06:09:25 pm »
However good a GS is, it's not a patch on the K as it's missing 50bhp. You may not use that 50bhp often, but when you do, there's nothing like it.

I tried the ZZR1400 before buying my previous K1300S. It's a close shout as to which is the "best" sports tourer. The K1300S was my choice only because of ESA. If the big Kawasaki had ESA I may well have spent the last 5 years on a ZZR1400.

The Busa may be a very good bike but it's too fugly for my liking.

The KTM 1290 Super Duke GT and the new Kawasaki H2 SX both look like very good "proper" sports tourer alternatives for the defunct K1300S, I'll let you know by the end of the summer which is the best! :D

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Show you know what you're doing and use your rear brake!

The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2018, 06:28:39 pm »
Sat on the H2 SX at NEC, not comfy for tall me. But I'm not normal sized, so a pinch of salt needed there.

Bizarrely, the comfiest bike was the K1600 Bagger. Sometimes I really scare myself.

That's it! Yer banned and don't come back...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 07:27:50 pm by Phmode »

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2009 K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, Givi Rack stainless, hand guards, LED surprise,
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2018, 06:50:46 pm »
However good a GS is, it's not a patch on the K as it's missing 50bhp. You may not use that 50bhp often, but when you do, there's nothing like it.

I tried the ZZR1400 before buying my previous K1300S. It's a close shout as to which is the "best" sports tourer. The K1300S was my choice only because of ESA. If the big Kawasaki had ESA I may well have spent the last 5 years on a ZZR1400.

The Busa may be a very good bike but it's too fugly for my liking.

The KTM 1290 Super Duke GT and the new Kawasaki H2 SX both look like very good "proper" sports tourer alternatives for the defunct K1300S, I'll let you know by the end of the summer which is the best! :D

I will tell you now its the KTM 1290 SDGT it wins hands down. 8) ;D ;D
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: model 2011
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2018, 07:06:12 pm »
The KTM 1290 Super Duke GT and the new Kawasaki H2 SX both look like very good "proper" sports tourer alternatives for the defunct K1300S, ...

No criticism on your choices, but I myself don't count the Super Duke 1290 amongst the sports-tourers. Powerful tourers aren't necessarily sports-tourers   :-X

I don't buy the marketing sh.t manufacturers try to feed me : no, a powerful tourer is not what I call a sports-tourer, and even more so if they are upright-seated or high-seated...

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ilmberger hugger
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2018, 09:16:00 pm »
Yeah I need to try the KTM once I've accepted how much I'll end up spending on a replacement. Trouble is as you say, it feels more sitty uppy. But for the ktm I might try it.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 08:12:33 am »
The KTM 1290 Super Duke GT and the new Kawasaki H2 SX both look like very good "proper" sports tourer alternatives for the defunct K1300S, ...

No criticism on your choices, but I myself don't count the Super Duke 1290 amongst the sports-tourers. Powerful tourers aren't necessarily sports-tourers   :-X

I don't buy the marketing sh.t manufacturers try to feed me : no, a powerful tourer is not what I call a sports-tourer, and even more so if they are upright-seated or high-seated...

I'm interested to understand how you define the difference between a "powerful" tourer and a "sports" tourer.

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 08:26:04 am »

I'm interested to understand how you define the difference between a "powerful" tourer and a "sports" tourer.

Can I have a go?
(Not a definition - just an example.)

"powerful" tourer: K1600GT
"sports" tourer: K1300S

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 08:30:41 am »

Can I have a go?
(Not a definition - just an example.)

"powerful" tourer: K1600GT
"sports" tourer: K1300S

But surely the K1600GT is just a "tourer"?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 08:36:16 am »
Hmm! We've seen some good piccies of a K16 scaring the living bejeesus out of all and sundry at track days, so it can certainly scratch more than it looks lime it should. As can the GS.

I think (not very often, but very occasionally) that until you have ridden a day on another marque's bike, you don't know the bike.

I spent a year getting my Honda CBR1000F-H back on the road after 22 years in a mates garage.

Don't ask!

I rode it to and around Wales one Easter weekend instead of taking the GS and realised that I still had a Super Sports-Tourer hooligan lurking deep inside me.

This was the very same 130PS, 168 mph (180 indicated) bike I had ridden non-stop to the Med, twice, once with a pillion on the return trip and had never had so much as a bum twinge.  But that was 25 years previously and in Wales it nearly crippled me. It had me in tears on the M4 on the way home it was sooo uncomfortable for my now aged body.

The K12/13 by comparison was almost all-day for me from the outset. An Airhawk bum cushion for Med trips on the boring motorways and Helibars and Bob, as they say....

As to whether power makes for sports-touring is a matter of taste. As is the riding position. The GS felt sooo wrong after being used to a crouch but once you are dialled in it is way more comfortable and the GS chassis way more capable than its looks would lead you to imagine.

So, whether the 'sports' bit of sports-touring is to do with speed and agility when you get to where you are going and the 'touring' bit about comfort on the way there and what you can take with you, the bike you choose to do it on is all down to very personal tastes but the 85bhp of the GS 1150 did not make for rapid and cool high-speed cruising, I'll grant you that.

Personally, I'm just grateful that I'm a low mileage rider these days and my K might last me. Or even outlast me 😎