Author Topic: Coding ....  (Read 95 times)

Offline slparry

• View Profile
    • My webspace
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT SE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic Exhaust, Oberon Slave, Z technics Screen, SW Motech tank mount
Coding ....
« on: April 13, 2018, 11:55:18 am »
So just about every BMW car I've ever had has been able to auto lock the doors at 4km per hour. Given my recent "incident" I thought I'd get it "enabled" or "coded".

The local BMW car emporium wanted 35 to 50 quid for doing the job.

The necessary "doohickey" for doing it your self (and a load of other jobs with the cars internal systems) was a tenner off ebay. I had an older version of the software and "doohickey" but it only works with Windows XP.

On eBay there was a vendor advertising a revised version of the "doohickey" and software that would work with Windows 7 to 10. It was twice the price of its older version but I thought hey ho it was still under £20.

Ordered, delivery was quick and last night I opened the package and read through the install instructions, alarm bells went when it said to disable my anti-virus. Which of course I didn't do.

Seconds after putting the cd into my W7 laptop Sophos started screaming about DoS virii infections. In all the CD had three Denial of Service infections which, had I disabled my AV, my laptop would now be being used to attack websites around the world and ne're do wells would have a nice back door into my system.

Anyway I binned the infected cd (btw it was exactly the same version as the older one I had) and found I could get the older software working in compatibility mode on W7.

So out to the car, plugged the "doohickey" in and 10 minutes later my car is coded to lock the doors at 4kmh, and while I was at it I added a blip sound to alarm arming process :)

Moral is, don't ever disable your AV unless you REALLY trust who's asking you to do so!

The vendor will be getting a negative feedback from me! :D

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/31803381/ns/technology_and_science-security/t/how-denial-of-service-attack-works/#.WtCNSruG_yE
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:58:59 am by slparry »
--

Steve Parry
Sales @ Chester Motorrad
Oppressed since 1958

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '07 K1200GT SE .... '14 R12RT LC LE :D

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Coding ....
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 12:27:41 pm »
Quite right.

IMHO, standard Windows 8 /10 Defender is good enough nowadays. You don't need to pay extra for Sophos, AVG, etc.
But that may depend on where you visit on the net (random CNET quote):
- 'Defender is now considered good enough but if folk torrent cracked software and visit bad sites, it is likely to fail just as any antivirus.'*

If anything, some AV programs act like viruses themselves, by sapping CPU, and nagging you to upgrade.

However, if you want more protection whilst searching for that elusive copy of RePROM  :o :o :o, according to Gartner, the top three are:
- Trend Micro, Sophos, and Symantec

Sophos received praise for the machine learning and integration capabilities of its product, Intercept X, but they received worries about their lack of vulnerability reporting and recent changes that may hamper the Intercept X’s cloud adoption.

Trend Micro was lauded for its patching capabilities and managed detection services, but were noted to lack MacOS support for EDR.

Symantec got good marks for stabilizing their management team at long last and for their continuing standard of comprehensiveness. However, there are still inconsistent reports concerning their support teams, and the vendor still carries a reputation for complexity and expensiveness.

https://solutionsreview.com/endpoint-security/gartners-2018-magic-quadrant-for-endpoint-protection-platforms-epp-whats-changed/

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 12:28:26 pm »
That'll teach the lying, thieving, cheating b'stards  8)

It is interesting that the door lock is not automatic.

My aged A6 and indeed my last few big VW and Audis, some older, some newer, have all had the doors lock automatically at 11mph. There is no way, afaik, to disable this anti-hi-jack feature. There is also a lock/unlock button on the driver's door to override this feature on a drive by drive basis.

The doors can still be opened from inside but not out and they stay locked until the ignition is turned off.

A drunk in Brighton some years ago took exception to my bip of the horn as he staggered off the pavement in front of me and tried to pull my door open. That hurt his fingers! Then he tried to punch the drivers door window in before his less drunk mate pulled him away, apologising to me.

I bet his broken hand is still giving him gyp. Well, I hope it is  ;D

Offline slparry

• View Profile
    • My webspace
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic Exhaust, Oberon Slave, Z technics Screen, SW Motech tank mount
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 01:04:44 pm »
Quite right.

IMHO, standard Windows 8 /10 Defender is good enough nowadays. You don't need to pay extra for Sophos, AVG, etc.
But that may depend on where you visit on the net (random CNET quote):
- 'Defender is now considered good enough but if folk torrent cracked software and visit bad sites, it is likely to fail just as any antivirus.'*

If anything, some AV programs act like viruses themselves, by sapping CPU, and nagging you to upgrade.

However, if you want more protection whilst searching for that elusive copy of RePROM  :o :o :o, according to Gartner, the top three are:
- Trend Micro, Sophos, and Symantec

Sophos received praise for the machine learning and integration capabilities of its product, Intercept X, but they received worries about their lack of vulnerability reporting and recent changes that may hamper the Intercept X’s cloud adoption.

Trend Micro was lauded for its patching capabilities and managed detection services, but were noted to lack MacOS support for EDR.

Symantec got good marks for stabilizing their management team at long last and for their continuing standard of comprehensiveness. However, there are still inconsistent reports concerning their support teams, and the vendor still carries a reputation for complexity and expensiveness.

https://solutionsreview.com/endpoint-security/gartners-2018-magic-quadrant-for-endpoint-protection-platforms-epp-whats-changed/

I've been trying out free Sophos Home
https://home.sophos.com/

I have business Sophos on one of my laptops (I used to administer Sophos on our corporate network so learnt to trust it) the Home one appears quite good to be fair.

I loathe Trend and Symantec (along with AVG and its nagging) Symantec I find consumes too much in the way of system resources and Trend, I've had it playing "three monkeys" ignoring infections that F-Secure was screaming about.

Used to admin F-Secure when I worked for Cargotec and it was another very good AV solution.
--

Steve Parry
Sales @ Chester Motorrad
Oppressed since 1958

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '07 K1200GT SE .... '14 R12RT LC LE :D

Offline slparry

• View Profile
    • My webspace
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 01:06:07 pm »
That'll teach the lying, thieving, cheating b'stards  8)

It is interesting that the door lock is not automatic.

My aged A6 and indeed my last few big VW and Audis, some older, some newer, have all had the doors lock automatically at 11mph. There is no way, afaik, to disable this anti-hi-jack feature. There is also a lock/unlock button on the driver's door to override this feature on a drive by drive basis.

The doors can still be opened from inside but not out and they stay locked until the ignition is turned off.

A drunk in Brighton some years ago took exception to my bip of the horn as he staggered off the pavement in front of me and tried to pull my door open. That hurt his fingers! Then he tried to punch the drivers door window in before his less drunk mate pulled him away, apologising to me.

I bet his broken hand is still giving him gyp. Well, I hope it is  ;D

It's an option you have to ask to be enabled at ordering new I believe, or have it enabled at a later date.

Mine's now clunking shut a treat :D
--

Steve Parry
Sales @ Chester Motorrad
Oppressed since 1958

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 08:13:20 pm »
There are quite a few programs to play with with regards to BMW's I have a few of them. Not totally confident on how to use them. I did manage to completely disable my sunroof once  >:(

I will have to get software out soon though, i need to put in a new battery which requires coding  ::)