Author Topic: Courtesy lights?  (Read 238 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Courtesy lights?
« on: April 08, 2018, 10:42:11 am »
One of things that has always pee'ed me off about bikes is that they are crap in the dark until you fire them up.

You park up somewhere and when you come back its gone dark and they only way you find your bike is either plipping the alarm or falling over the bloody thing.

And even when you find it the ignition barrel is a total mystery in the dark with fumbling and cursing and then you have to take the key out or use your spare to open the panniers to get your kit out and then you can't find the bloody ignition again......

Why can't bikes have courtesy lights that come on when you plip to show you what you are doing? Cars have had these things since the dawn of prog rock so why not bikes?

Rant was brought on by seeing this lovely little idea from Wunderlich via Nippy Normans...

https://www.nippynormans.com/k1600gtgtlsportbaggerga/wunderlich-side-stand-illuminator-k1600gtgtlbaggerga

...which goes some way to solving the problem, though at their usual high prices I doubt many will be taking one home  8)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Courtesy lights?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 12:50:46 pm »
Nothing to stop you rigging something like that with LEDs for a couple of quid.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 03:30:54 pm »
Well, the thing from Wunderlich put it in my mind but Sod's Law says if I did I'dnever park anywhere dark ever again  ::)

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 04:23:48 pm »
Being diurnal,I have no need for such things seeing as I turn into a pumpkin if I am out after dark :o
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline Expo

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 06:52:48 pm »
How about parking under a street light.
Only go out if there's a full moon.
Get chased by a police helicopter.
Eat more carrots.
Night vision visor.
Or, an LED key ring light.
I'll get my coat  ::)
"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

Offline Ian Jay

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 08:22:54 pm »
I use my car at night .....
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there are vitamins, in water - bacteria!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 03:57:47 pm »
Wimp  ;D

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: HID headlights and a hugger.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 04:01:53 pm »
A small LED torch on your key ring?
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Show you know what you're doing and use your rear brake!

The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 04:05:18 pm »
Yup! I've got one on my house keys which are always in my jacket pocket but with hands full of helmet and gloves etc, fiddling in your pocket can be a struggle and if you put your helmet down to get the light out you then find you put it in a muddy puddle.

If I ever park in the dark again, I'll definitely be rueing not fitting something.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 10:16:33 pm »
You can't have it all ways Brian. Move to a dark sky area and then complain that it's too dark   ::)
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 10:56:16 pm »
Slight slip in the planning department there Tom  ;D

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 08:31:46 am »
you could something like this https://www.banggood.com/12V-4CH-Channel-433Mhz-Wireless-Remote-Control-Switch-With-2-Transimitter-p-1012323.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=USA
hook up some led lighting and you still have 3 more relays you can hook up some other gadgets

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 03:01:22 pm »
Neat idea, thanks for that  8)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, System 5 intercom helmets. MRA tinted screen. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector, 6 lit tail bag. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors, paralever arm. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. T Bag tail 15-25lit bag, 5 lit tank bag. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 03:49:29 pm »
Soooooooo expensive
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile