Author Topic: Third Party Tyre Pressure Monitors.  (Read 449 times)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
Third Party Tyre Pressure Monitors.
« on: October 08, 2017, 06:18:21 pm »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 06:22:44 pm by drumwrecker »
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Third Party Tyre Pressure Minitors.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 06:37:58 pm »
I had something similar, from Fobo (https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOBIKE).

When I took it into Central Tyres for a tyre change, they said the stress of the extra weight (battery + electronics) may damage the valve (at high speed the rotation is quite a stress on a valve that is only designed to hold a plastic cap. As you can see, they're mounted with quite a long side stem, which increases the moment, On the K front wheel you have to mount it sideways.

I'm not sure they're got any empirical evidence to back that up, but they tend to know tyres and valves rather better than I do, so I removed them.

Having said that, whilst they were fitted, they worked well.

I've some to the conclusion that I've survived this long without them, so it's not a huge problem.
And anyway, Brian tells me when I've got a flat  :o :o :o
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 01:50:12 pm by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Third Party Tyre Pressure Monitors.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 07:45:37 pm »
I had the TypePal system on my K12 and thought it was the Bee's knees. I had to fit an alumin(i)um rear valve stem and the front cleared the caliper by not much more than 1mm but it was a great piece of kit for a bike that didn't have TPMS fitted as standard.

I loved the fact that it gave the real-time pressure and temperature of the tyre, not some vague idea of what it might be if the ambient temp happened to be 20degrees, which it never was...

I fully intended to get a four wheel set for the car but sadly they stopped making them and I sold the bike kit with the K12.

I might be slightly apprehensive of the weight on right-angled valves and would want to check the clearance of the calipers etc.