Author Topic: Bevel gearbox drive strip  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Bian2512

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Bevel gearbox drive strip
« on: March 30, 2018, 02:01:35 pm »
Hi guys, me again
Has anyone replaced the outer casing of the rear bevel gearbox drive? My bike has been down the road at some point, and the outer casing has been worn away at an angle, where a crash bung would normally have been fitted. I could replace the gearbox complete, but these are quite pricey, and a different colour, but ive seen just an outer shell for a third of the price. So could I just take everything out of my case and fit it to the new case? I seem to remember somebody saying its a tricky job because you have to shim it, so gets very technical?
Thanks
Bian

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Bevel gearbox drive strip
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 05:17:37 pm »
I've only ever stripped the R1150 back end and that was a total nightmare to shim. Tom will be along shortly to reminisce...

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 05:18:02 pm »
The fact that you are asking suggests that you do not appreciate how technical a job it is. Does require some expensive complicated tooling to set up correctly.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Bian2512

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 12:51:20 pm »
Thought so, think i'll get a 2nd hand one complete, thanks guy's.
Regards
Bian

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 04:18:11 pm »
...and once again Tom will be along to reminisce about what happened when he bought a second hand one from James Sherlock a while back  8)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 08:05:46 pm »
Yep Steve Grover at Motoscot reckoned that the play in the bevel shaft of the final drive was excessiive and it went back to Sherlocks for a refund. There should not be any play.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.