Author Topic: Battery symbol  (Read 1565 times)

Andym535

Battery symbol
« on: March 25, 2018, 07:51:24 pm »
The last few times I’ve started my K13S the little battery symbol comes up for a couple of seconds. Maybe it’s always done that and I just haven’t noticed. Is this normal or is the battery on the way out?

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Battery symbol
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 11:28:31 pm »
I'm sure this is normal. The alternator is not charging if it doesn't go out when the bike starts.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

gibbo

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 09:38:19 am »
I had this on my K a few years back. The alternator was just about charging but not enough to keep the battery topped up. Again, a quick flash of the battery symbol but went out after a few seconds. It might be as well to connect the good old voltmeter or oscilloscope across the terminals to see what's going on and go from there. My problem was rectified with a new alternator.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 05:02:24 pm »
My battery was totally shot but the battery symbol never came on so it probably isn't indicating a battery problem.

The symbol shows if the current from the alternator INTO the system is lower than the current demand from the system (engine, sensors, lights etc.) including the needs of the battery after a start. In this case the battery provides the difference.

On a healthy system the output from the alternator is sufficient to run the bike and charge the battery.

If the alternator output is too low, then you are using stored energy from the battery to run the bike and that is what the symbol is telling you.

Offline Andysdad

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 12:18:52 pm »
If you start with no throttle and the revs never exceed idle, you can get the battery light staying on as explained by Phmode above. Usually a quick blip in revs and the alternator kicks-in; the charging rate then exceeds demand and the light goes out. If it stays on even when revving, it may be a failing alternator as gibbo says.

HTH

A

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 07:17:45 pm »
If you start with no throttle and the revs never exceed idle, you can get the battery light staying on as explained by Phmode above. Usually a quick blip in revs and the alternator kicks-in; the charging rate then exceeds demand and the light goes out. If it stays on even when revving, it may be a failing alternator as gibbo says.

HTH

A
Sounds like you're talking about the dynamos of old. An alternator should be charging straight away unless the voltage regulator is on its way out or like BMW cars is actually controlled by the ECU

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 08:38:42 pm »
...and it might well be controlled by the ECU. This is BM after all  8)