Author Topic: BMW R1200RT or K1200GT  (Read 8136 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: BMW R1200RT or K1200GT
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 11:44:14 am »
The radiator will go again dependent on mileage, so if he's only doing 1500 miles a years it'll last at least 20 minutes ;D ;D

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 12:47:38 pm »
The radiator will go again dependent on mileage, so if he's only doing 1500 miles a years it'll last at least 20 minutes ;D ;D

I would agree for a 1300 but as it's a 1200 he might as well get the radiator swapped while the coils are being replaced so it'll only last 10 minutes! ;D ;D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 02:14:08 pm »
Funnily enough David my coils were OK and never gave any trouble

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 02:22:33 pm »
Funnily enough David my coils were OK and never gave any trouble

The luck of the draw.

We had a K1200S on this years Old Gits trip and there was a discussion on the first night as to how good/bad they were. I said they were a great bike but wouldn't have one again because of all the usual issues. The owner said he'd had some of the coils replaced so should be OK. The very next day he left the hotel with a 1200cc 4cyl engine and returned with a 900cc 3cyl engine! It was diagnosed as a faulty coil! :( 
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline NIgeQ

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 02:47:38 pm »
They will not warranty a bike past 80,000 miles.
The warranty does not cover the radiator.
Covers
Cooling system
Failure of the radiator (excluding damage, clogging and/or sedimentation blockage), water pump, thermostat and housing.
 :-\

The biggest fault with the radiator on the K12/13 is that it clogs from the outside, courtesy of the crap-chucker otherwise known as the front tyre! My K12 corroded through from the outside! Not once did it ever overheat or show any signs of the impending woe.

Then, one dark wet night I came out of the local Shell station to find some **** arsing around under the bike. Just before I gave his head a TCX imprint he stuck his finger in his mouth and declared 'Anti-freeze! I thought it was brake fluid leaking!'.

So, £400 later....

So, clogging is NOT covered.

At the mileage you are considering, the suspension/ESA is not covered.

The best advice you are getting from some of the very experienced members in here (many of whom have suffered all the nasty failures you can imagine and some of them many times over) is caveat emptor!

Isn't it? Doesnt this cover ESA?
Electrical system
Failure of the following parts: all
electrical control units, on board
computer and starter motor, starter
relay/module, alternator, voltage
regulator, cooling fan motor, ignition
coil, wiring loom, lambda probe, fuel
level circuit boards and sender units,
ABS wheel sensors (excluding
damage), immobiliser antenna. CD
player, radio, engine temperature
transmitter and coolant temperature
transmitter. Cruise control motor,
reverse gear module and actuator.
Electric screen motor, main stand
motor, electronic suspension
adjustment motors, handlebar
combination switches.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 03:06:44 pm »
If you read the small print I think you will find that the suspension is covered up to 30,000miles.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 03:33:09 pm »
Nigel, we really are trying to help you here, Tom doesn't think the suspension is only covered up to 30,000 miles, he knows, but is just trying to be polite. You have definitely come to the right place for advice, our accumulated knowledge far exceeds most dealers.

I know you probably don't want to hear what we are saying, but it's all true, ignore it at your peril  :-X  :-[  :o

Offline NIgeQ

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 03:35:19 pm »
If you read the small print I think you will find that the suspension is covered up to 30,000miles.
You're right but the ESA is still covered I think

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 09:27:14 pm »
So, a quick summary:
- a £350-ish per annum BMW warranty covers you for many unforseen horrors (and roadside fix/recovery). See list below
- big exclusions are:
    - Front and rear shock absorber units up to 30,000 miles only
    - ESA is NOT mentioned in warranty = assume not covered
    - radiator gunking up
- not all bikes are affected (I've yet to have either problem at 34k miles)
- however, there are enough verified accounts to know the above definitely happens, it just a question of timing. I personally may be on borrowed time - who knows.

Basically, the K isn't a cheap ride or fix, but I'd say it's a good ride.
But beyond 30k miles maybe a little risky for a casual 2k miles per year bike.

2017 Warranty text:

Engine
All internally lubricated components, including the following:
Failure of the following parts: starter ring gear, oil pump, timing gears and chains, tappet gears, pistons and rings, con rods, flywheel, crankshaft and bearings, camshaft and cam followers, valves and guides, cylinder head, cylinder block, balancer shafts and all internal bushings.

Gearbox
Failure of the following parts: gears, selectors, selector forks and drums, bearings and bushes, synchromesh, hubs and shafts, excluding external linkages.

Drive
Failure of the following parts: gears, shafts, bearings and bushes, universal joints, but excluding hubs, chains, sprockets and rubber boots.

Final drive
Failure of the following parts: crown wheel, pinion and bearings. Pinion shaft oil seal and crown wheel cover seal, rear wheel carrier.

Clutch
Failure of the following parts: master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch plate, plate housing cover, thrust bearing including oil contamination of the clutch plate, but excluding external linkages, burnt out parts and general wear and tear.

Steering
Failure of the following parts: steering head bearings, Telelever ball joints, steering damper, solid and roller bearings including wheel bearings and seals.

Suspension
Failure of the following parts:
Telelever ball joints, telescopic forks (excluding pitting) and seals. Front and rear shock absorber units (up to 30,000 miles only).

Braking system
Failure of the following parts: brake callipers, ABS control unit, master cylinders and ABS hydraulic pump unit. (Seized callipers due to corrosion are not covered).

Fuel system
Failure of the following parts: injection control unit, fuel injectors, fuel level transmitter, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, solenoids, idle control valve, throttle position potentiometer and throttle body.

Cooling system
Failure of the radiator (excluding damage, clogging and/or sedimentation blockage), water pump, thermostat and housing.

Electrical system
Failure of the following parts: all electrical control units, on board computer and starter motor, starter relay/module, alternator, voltage regulator, cooling fan motor, ignition coil, wiring loom, lambda probe, fuel level circuit boards and sender units, ABS wheel sensors (excluding damage), immobiliser antenna. CD player, radio, engine temperature transmitter and coolant temperature transmitter. Cruise control motor, reverse gear module and actuator. Electric screen motor, main stand motor, electronic suspension adjustment motors, handlebar combination switches.

Instruments
Failure of the following parts:
speedometer, gear indicators, voltmeter, fuel gauge, temperature  gauge, tachometer and clock, but excluding accident damage. Seals and gaskets Failure of the following: engine – rear main oil seal, front crankshaft seal, output shaft seal, cylinder head gasket and valve guide oil seals. Gearbox – input shaft seal, output shaft seal and clutch push rod seal. Rear axle – pinion oil seal.

Frames
Failure of the structured members but excluding failure by corrosion or accident damage.

Casings
Casings are covered only when damaged by the failure of an insured component.

Sundries
Working materials eg. oils, filters, antifreeze are claimable as a direct result of a valid claim providing the insured motorcycle is not within 1,000 miles of its next scheduled service.

Miscellaneous
Other than the oil seals and gaskets specifically listed above, the rectification of oil leaks is not covered and the cost of seals and gaskets will only be accepted where they are required as a direct consequence of a valid claim under the insurance.

Any components not specifically listed are not covered.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:32:32 pm by richtea »

Offline NIgeQ

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 10:02:44 pm »
Thanks Richtea, am I mistaken in thinking the ESA is covered in the section on Electrical System? At the moment reading this thread I'm amazed anyone would want to touch a used BMW with a barge pole  ;D ;D ;D

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 10:14:12 pm »
They don't want to touch them. The dealer I bought my FJR from refused point blank to take the K1200GT in part exchange. "Too much trouble" he said.

Offline NIgeQ

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 10:24:30 pm »
They don't want to touch them. The dealer I bought my FJR from refused point blank to take the K1200GT in part exchange. "Too much trouble" he said.
You run this forum because? ;D ;D ;D

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 07:26:36 am »
I like the people. Hey don't shoot the messenger   :o

Offline midlife crisis

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 08:25:54 pm »
to answer have had 2 K1300GTs the first broke down due to kill switch, rad overheating x 2. i said I would never by another one, then bought another one (1 breakdown but was battery so not bike fault) and the reason was it is a bloody good bike. would never buy a BMW without warranty. now bought a R1200RS (said I would never buy a boxer engine) just goes to show.

it is luck of the draw though the rad is a real issue with K1200/1300 bikes.

mate had a FJR and had real problems initially can happen with any bike

Graham

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 09:46:04 pm »
... and the reason was it is a bloody good bike. would never buy a BMW without warranty. ...

Graham

Spot on!

I've spent thousands on other beautiful but temperamental bikes. But nothing extra on this one in the 26k miles I've ridden it (even though with 3 previous owners, I was expecting something to be wrong with it).

But I also take the warranty every year to ward away evil - just to be sure.

On the ESA front, it looks like you're right, and I'm wrong, since it says:
... all electrical control units... and  ...electronic suspension adjustment motors...

The other guys can probably say which bit goes wrong.
Can anyone confirm if it's the electronics or the suspension unit(s) that go wrong?