Author Topic: Handlebar ends  (Read 3918 times)

Offline acim

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
Handlebar ends
« on: March 07, 2016, 01:48:24 am »
Has anyone changed the original handlebar ends with some lighter (aluminium) version? Did this affect more vibrations? Is there some recommended weight for K1200/K1300? Thank you.
Dynamic-Paket + Safety-Paket
BMW HP Carbon Engine Spoiler
AC Schnitzer Stealth Silencer + BMW HP Carbon Heat Protector
Top Block Engine Protection + Peco Clutch, Fork and Cardan Crashpads
Rizoma 4D Aspheric Mirros
Wolf Oil Coller Guard
Hornig Sidestand Foot Enlargement Plate

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Handlebar ends
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 02:01:35 am »
I have the Wunderlich 'cruise control' throttle lock on my right bar. This is much lighter than the standard bar end weight and comes with a matching weight for the left bar.

I also have Helibars fitted to the bike so it is far from a standard set up, the standard bars having rubber isolator sleeves between the inner and outer pieces of the bars.

I had a problem with vibes with this set-up on my K12S and invested in a set of 'Grip Puppies' foam grips which slide over the originals to provide a thicker grip and more cushioning. This solved my problems and I now have this set-up on my K13S which has some vibes through the bars but in a different part of the rev range.

Of course, the whole set-up on the R is different so I can't say whether this would work for you.

Brian (who wonders why you would want to change the stock weights for lighter ones in the first place)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 07:09:51 am »
In order of series:
1 original bar ends: vibrations.
2 wunderlich cruise control on original bars :vibrations.
3 original bars with R&G protectors : vibrations
4 IDE bars with R&G protectors : vibrations
5 IDE bars with original bar ends : vibrations
6 IDE bars cut 2cm each side and RIZOMA lever protectors installed : vibrations almost completely eliminated
7 above configurations with Grip Puppies : problem solved
Embrace the wind.

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 08:47:03 am »
So Costas 'Good vibrations' ::)

BBB
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline acim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 09:07:27 am »
@Phmode

I don't think there is a big difference regarding vibes on stock R's and S's, but Helibars probably make a difference. I want to change the original weights because of the look, I would like to mount some Rizoma stylish shit :D

http://www.rizoma.com/custom/handlebar-caps/ma303/en?MOTO=50412098-50462982-R

(black version)

@all

Believe it or not, I ordered the "puppies" yesterday :)
Wolf Oil Coller Guard

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 09:30:36 am »
I didn't notice any handlebar vibration on my bike when I bought it.
It has Helibars and standard bar ends.
I did buy Grip Puppies but that was to stop the heel of my hand resting on the raised end of the grip. I also like the thicker grip even though I have fairly small hands.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline acim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 10:37:23 am »
If we are already talking about Grip Puppies, are there any negative sides of these? I mean the feedback from the front wheel, is there any difference?
Wolf Oil Coller Guard

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 11:22:15 am »
I tried a Wunderlich cruise control and took it off because of the vibrations. Someone I know had problems with handlebar vibrations on his S1000RR which he solved by filling the bars with lead pellets which are used in diving suits.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 11:41:28 am »
There are loads of heavy weight bar end options for the RR/XR to stop the vibes.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 01:24:18 pm »
No issues with any type of grip puppies, open velcro or closed type just a bit thicker grip , nothing else.
PS most important wiith them you save 210 € for new heated grips since rhe puppies protect them.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 02:23:01 pm »
If we are already talking about Grip Puppies, are there any negative sides of these? I mean the feedback from the front wheel, is there any difference?

None that I have found in four years with them on. I find they give better throttle control at small openings with the larger diameter and they cushion the weight on the heel of my hands much better than stock.

The Grip Puppies are not the ones with velcro fastening, I think perhaps they are Grip Buddies or some such. I tried a bike with the velcro ones and didn't like the ridge where the velcro overlapped.

The Grip Puppies are just foam tubes that need about 15mm cutting off the length for the K and then they simply slide over the original grips with a little soapy water.

The original ones on my K12S are just starting to show some signs of wear at the outer ends from the heel of my gloves. I reckon 5 or 6 years wear out of a set for £14 UK.

Brian (who loves his puppies cos they love his little handies  :o )
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 02:36:45 pm by Phmode »

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 09:22:05 pm »
Reduces the warmth from the heated grip?
I put the question mark as I haven't used my heated grips with the grip puppies.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 09:45:30 pm »
It takes a bit longer but it gets through.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 10:06:12 pm »
I find it more comfortable although I have only used the heated grips maybe 4 times in the four years I have owned the bike.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 08:11:29 am »
No issues there too. Not that use them frequently but the few times used the head came up through easily, even with the thicker winder cloves. .
Embrace the wind.