Author Topic: Views on forum postings  (Read 1758 times)

gibbo

Views on forum postings
« on: February 06, 2018, 09:38:54 am »
Just interested to know whether the number of views on forum members postings are just counted on views from members or a combination of members and cruising guests. Thanks.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Views on forum postings
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 10:18:15 am »
Not quite sure what you are after here, however, if you scroll down to the bottom of the front page you will see forum stats and a bit further down "More stats" which give fairly detailed statistics.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 01:41:36 pm »
I don't think that we know the answer Jon, unless someone does...

It is interesting to know who is viewing. I would assume, because we allow anyone to view, read etc. without being a member, that they would be counted as views in the statistics.

It could be like a visitor counter on websites which count IP addresses (I suppose) that visit the site and not just visits by registered members of the site.

Interesting question; can I ask what prompted you to ask?

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 06:06:28 pm »
Speedy link to stats:
http://eurokclub.bike/index.php?action=stats

It's cruisers as well as members:

For example, we would all have had to read the topic 50+ times:

Topic: The Unsolvable Problem!  (Read 26233 times)

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 06:09:35 pm »
... I guess that each time I view a thread it adds one no matter if I’ve been before...
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 09:27:42 pm »
I was 26,230 of that figure Richard  ::)

Note,to self...get out more  8)

gibbo

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 09:40:47 am »
I don't think that we know the answer Jon, unless someone does...

It is interesting to know who is viewing. I would assume, because we allow anyone to view, read etc. without being a member, that they would be counted as views in the statistics.

It could be like a visitor counter on websites which count IP addresses (I suppose) that visit the site and not just visits by registered members of the site.

Interesting question; can I ask what prompted you to ask?

I was scrolling back to see how the 'Mandatory Driving Assessment' Poll which I posted up a couple of weeks back and although there were a few votes (disappointing) and some thought provoking comments, there are 99 views so far which is encouraging. It looks as though most of these are 'cruisers' on the forum. Are 'cruisers' able to vote as well?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 09:46:02 am »
Non members can only view.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 09:56:49 am »
Assuming the "view counter" is the same as a hit counter then they will simply be counting connections by different IP addresses. Thus, if you use the same computer and simply refresh the screen then the views counter won't increase. However, if you use three different computers to visit the page then that'll be 3 different views. I'm not sure how long your IP address is held for to see if a subsequent view is by a previously known address. most hit counters only hold the last 1 or 2 thus as long as someone else has visited in between, your second visit counts as a new visit.

A number of the visits will be by web bots collecting data for search engines etc. thus are not by "real people".
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 07:45:15 pm »
Your last sentence makes it sound as any of the members are 'real people'  8)