Author Topic: Sun warning!  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Sun warning!
« on: February 13, 2018, 02:08:50 pm »
For those who have been looking forward to longer and possibly even sunnier days ahead, I do have to issue the following sun warning...

There won't be any!

How do I know this?

I just squandered this week's beer money on a new dark tint sun visor for the Schuberth  8)

When I was riding home into the setting sun back before Xmas and flipped the internal visor down, I was amazed to find it wasn't there  :o

Then I remembered that after the Wrinklies trip last June, the bike and all its accoutrements went into deep storage until after the then impending house move. This included the now sun-visor'less helmet as it had parted company with me somewhere in the torrential downpour that was Swansea and the hot-start issue that brought the trip to a sudden, very wet and premature end.

That was the first failure of the rather fragile clip system but at least it was the visor that broke rather than the flimsy and awkward to fit helmet mounted clips.

So, no more sun for us then  >:(

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Sun warning!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 03:04:59 pm »
Much too dark a tint anyway.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 08:15:29 pm »
It's a 'sun visor' Tom ::)

About as dark as good quality sun glasses.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 10:43:46 pm »
Well Brian I have a Schuberth helmet with a flip down sun visor and in my opinion it is too dark. Can't see sod all when riding in and out of shade.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 08:13:26 am »
I find the flip down sun visor in my Schuberth not dark enough. During the summer, I fit a (darkest legal) tint main visor and still use the flip down sun visor.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 08:16:00 am »
The Nolan built in sun visor could do with being slightly darker for my liking

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 10:36:07 am »
Well, there you have it my friends, 'one man's meat...', 'Jack Spratt could eat no fat...', 'what's good for the goose(?)...','you pays your money...' etc. etc.

My specs are photochromic wotsits and are quite good for riding and I rarely need the sun visor but when I do, I'm glad it's there.

I'm not sure if this 'dark tint' is any darker than the replacement I binned in Wales nor the original come to that. It is billed as dark and they seem to have light and medium which would be bugger all use to anyone except Tom  8).

I have also always used a sun-block strip along the top edge of the visor so I can cut out sudden glare completely by dipping my head slightly. It's not perfect cos I can't ride for long like that but it cuts the glare instantly without having to fumble for the visor slider. I always used to use a strip of electrical tape for this but then found a place on fleabay selling specially made ones that you cut to fit and they come in all sorts of funky designs. The Union Flag one I am currently sporting may become a collector's piece if Scotland leave the onion.

Before I fitted the Sena on the left of the helmet skirt, I used to be able to flip the visor down by shrugging the edge of the helmet against my shoulder and twisting it clockwise. Neat trick and no hands needed but now all that does is make a phone call or turn off the ambient sound or play Cilla Black's Greatest Hits on the Garmin  :o