Author Topic: New Tyres For K1300R Dynamic.  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Grandpa Munster

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: LSL bar conversion, Remus exhaust, Crash bungs, Paint protection film, Oberon
New Tyres For K1300R Dynamic.
« on: May 25, 2019, 01:54:44 pm »
Hi all,

Got to work on Thursday morning this week and noticed I had a new addition to the bike, something shiney sticking out of the rear tyre. As the tyre appeared to be holding pressure, I left well alone.

The ride home was a slow careful affair, so much so I thought the police driving in front of me were going to pull me as I was riding so slow, which did look suspicious.

Any way, got home and armed with long nose pliers pulled out of the rear tyre a 3 inch long, 6mm diameter drill shank.

My question now is what tyres do I go for, the more research I do, the more confusing the situation gets.

My bike is a 65 plate K1300R on 2700 miles, I do not travel any great distances and I'm on the heavy side, lets just say I always ride 2 up.

I have read how much people like the Pirelli Angel GT (II) on their S models, do I need "A" spec for an R?

I did call a local tyre place Thursday evening and they recommended Metzeler Sportec M7 RR tyres.

Many thanks for any input,

Gramps.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: New Tyres For K1300R Dynamic.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 02:01:08 pm »
The Angel GTs are great tyres and yes you will need the (A) spec front and rear. We are still waiting for reports on the new Angel GT II.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 03:13:33 pm »
Plug it and ride on! Why change tyres unless it was in the sidewall?

I'm doing the Wrinklies on the same rear tyre I plugged on last year's Wrinklies  ::)

howlindawg

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 04:09:41 pm »
If there's more than half life left in the tyre I'd agree that a repair is worth considering, although a proper internal patch rather than a roadside plug for a hole of that size.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 05:27:44 pm »
OK, two bits of sticky string instead of one  8)

gibbo

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 05:58:09 am »
Think I'd be looking to replace it. If it was caused by a 6mm dia object then it's a big hole to plug. Also, if the tyres have been on the bike since new then we're talking fairly old rubber. Plugging should only be used as a temporary fix especially with high powered bikes. Just my opinion.  :)

Offline Grandpa Munster

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: LSL bar conversion, Remus exhaust, Crash bungs, Paint protection film, Oberon
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 07:27:33 am »
Think I'd be looking to replace it. If it was caused by a 6mm dia object then it's a big hole to plug. Also, if the tyres have been on the bike since new then we're talking fairly old rubber. Plugging should only be used as a temporary fix especially with high powered bikes. Just my opinion.  :)

I'm with you here, I refuse to compromise on tyres and brakes.

Offline Grandpa Munster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 08:33:21 am »
Got new tyres mounted on my wheels yesterday.

Went for the Pirelli Angel GT 2, Spec "A".

Just going out now to see if I can get them part way scrubbed in?

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 12:51:08 pm »
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Grandpa Munster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 03:42:04 pm »