Author Topic: Idle after warm up  (Read 3265 times)

Offline Freydís

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Idle after warm up
« on: April 24, 2018, 04:57:47 pm »
My bike would not start one time, and needed a new battery. We used a jump starter and it did not sound good at all for a short time then all seemed fine.
Swapped to new battery, and found that once warmed in its hunting at tick over and stalls easily. As soon as you rev it or ride it all seems to be fine until you stop again and back to struggling to keep going on tick over.

What do you think it could be?
(09 K1300S)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Idle after warm up
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 10:39:04 pm »
Did you reset the throttle after fitting the new battery?

There are any number of possible causes:

Idle Control Valve lost its marbles
Fuel Injector on the way out
Fuel Pressure Sensor ditto
Ignition Coil ditto
Throttle Position Sensor ditto
Plug ditto (but not likely unless very old)

It would be interesting to see if all cylinders are firing at tickover. Bellypan off and a squirt of WD40 on each header will soon tell you - unless you have an infra-red thermometer of course  8)

Offline Freydís

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 08:48:54 am »
Thanks, it feels and sounds fine when riding or just reaving. But will have a look and have a heat sensor some where.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 11:20:26 am »
Mine has developed a similar approach to idling (sometimes). Since returning to commuting use in early April it’s decided that idling (noticeable in town) is something that it may or may not do. Sometimes it is fine and does exactly what it should. Other times it idles but is very rough. Once this starts, it will continue until I switch off and back on again, which resets it back to normal idle. The worst of it is that often, if I don’t “catch” the rough idle it’ll stall, but no red triangle appears on the dash. Very annoying if braking and shifting down through two or 3 gears on the approach to a just changed red light. All’s fine until I try to pull away as the light goes back to green!!!

It had its 36k service last week but nothing came up on the diagnostics and it behaved impeccably for the dealer.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 01:14:16 pm »
Doncha just hate these 'intermittent' faults. Never shows up in the dealers.

I doubt yours is a cylinder not firing David as I am sure that would have shown up somewhere in the dealers; maybe not though if it didn't do it. Of course, if it was the ICV playing up then that is an open-loop system and doen't throw a fault code.

I have to say that the idle on my K12 was spot on (the 11,000 rpm sticking throttles nonsense aside  ::) ) but the idle on the K13 is somewhat less than perfect. It tends to wander up and down around 1,100 rpm even from a cold start and also when hot. A blip will clear its throat and it is OK for a while but it isn't as precise as the K12 was.

Interestingly, the K12 had a couple of new ICV's during and after the throttles saga so perhaps that was why it was so spot-on.

I have a spare 'new' one so I could try popping that in the 13 and see what happens to the idle.

Is this something lurking deep inside and waiting to catch us all out?

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 01:48:07 pm »
Having thousants of issues , a new one arrived.
Bike last four days was not happy with idle, my mind went straight to coils but having replaced all of them exactly 3 years ago , dismissed the idea and went on to live with idle issue as it was present only for the first 5 munutes after starting the bike. Yesterday twise had the impression that somehow it misfired. Today started bike and the horrible sound of only 3 cylinders sounded in my ears. Took my two good coils left fm last repalcement and went straight to my trusted (I assure you only a handful of them is now left), we decided to replace spark plugs throttle bodies plastic connectors and many more small bits as the bike would be open for inspection.
Then do a full 50000 service, bike has 48500 and its a 9 years old model .
A few minutes ago the verdict came up, cause of issue: a broken spark plug..........yes a new one to my ears.
Tomorrow bike will be ready for the summer, today 33 here.
Back to thread and after this long paragraph my mind still goes to coils.
Embrace the wind.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 03:23:25 pm »

And all our minds all go to 33C Life - it's tough. But the snow has stopped in the UK.  8)
Enjoy it, Costas!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 03:24:30 pm »
At least with the fault happening at tickover it is easy to find if it is a cylinder not firing, unlike the high engine speed misfiring we sometimes hear of.

Oh, and yer banned Costas. End of! 33 F'ing degrees, even though they are C'ing degrees  ;D

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 04:09:38 pm »
As always those kind words provides me the opportunity to extend my invitation to all members.
Yes the summer house is smaller, still we can accommodate friends. End here the garage is big.
Embrace the wind.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 05:04:19 pm »
My bike would not start one time, and needed a new battery. We used a jump starter and it did not sound good at all for a short time then all seemed fine.
Swapped to new battery, and found that once warmed in its hunting at tick over and stalls easily. As soon as you rev it or ride it all seems to be fine until you stop again and back to struggling to keep going on tick over.

(09 K1300S)

Does the red triangle come on on the dash when it stalls?
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 07:27:05 pm »

And all our minds all go to 33C Life - it's tough. But the snow has stopped in the UK.  8)
Enjoy it, Costas!
I was going to say all that rain water must have got into your spark plugs  ;D ;D

Picked up the youngest daughter from the airport, she was in Thailand which was hitting 40 deg C... So  :P Costas  ;D
How delighted was she to come home to hail and torrential on and off rain  :(

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 08:04:01 pm »

(09 K1300S)

Oh, OK, go on then!

In the interests of science....No!

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 03:41:15 pm »
 For those who want to hear an update and I assure you it gets very interesting am moving to a new thread.
Embrace the wind.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 03:57:54 pm »

(09 K1300S)

Oh, OK, go on then!

In the interests of science....No!

I'll bet it does - normally! Try holding on to both ;) brakes and letting the clutch out slowly when in gear (and engine running) to stall it and watch the dash.

Part of the intermediate problem with my bike appears to be that the CPU hasn't released that the engine has stopped rotating!