Author Topic: Fuel tank dilema  (Read 2881 times)

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
Fuel tank dilema
« on: April 23, 2018, 08:08:31 am »
 Morning Guys,
Need some help or advice. Before you all start calling me an idiot, I know :-[ :-[ :-[
Anyway petrol required this morning. Keys in filler, open filler, wallet out of pocket. Opend wallet and a few coins fell out. Shock horror, disbelief and every other shocking emotion through my head.
Found coins on floor and to my horror 3 x 20 pence pieces lying in ring around filler. Thank god. However I now really don't know if any coins dropped in tank??
So my question to you all. Should I remove tank and find out if there are any in the tank? Leave well alone and hope for the best? What effect could the coins if any cause within tank. Could they block feed etc.
What the hell do i do.  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :( :(
Mark Barbour

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Fuel tank dilema
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 08:42:52 am »
Serves you right for being so rich Mark  ;D

If it were me, being a perfectionist, I would have to take the tank out and see.

However, I'm sure there is no hurry. Coins can't block the oulet or filter.

Some chemist will be along shortly to tell you what effect ratty UK coins in Tesco's Finest will have on the RON etc.

There's a bit of me that thinks ignore it and having tried getting even crud out of an old Honda tank before now, the seemingly simple becomes the obviously impossible. The filler would have to come out anyway.

You could wait for the tank level to drop, whip the tank off, drain it and shake it to hear if anything is rattling around in there.

Brian (who, like HMTQ, never carries money, couldn't get himself in your position as credit cards don't fit throught the filler neck  8) )

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 10:13:53 am »
I have an idea and I will now share it:

Get a hold of one of those cameras on a bendy wand we use to check inside pistons etc. Then either get one that has a flipping bright LED on the end or get a flipping bright light.

Then maybe poke it in there whilst smoking a cigar and have a look.

Oh and then tell us of the wonders you find in there.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 12:32:25 pm »
Whatever it is you smoke at weekends Matt, stop it!

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 07:47:13 pm »
Morning Guys,
Need some help or advice. Before you all start calling me an idiot, I know :-[ :-[ :-[
Anyway petrol required this morning. Keys in filler, open filler, wallet out of pocket. Opend wallet and a few coins fell out. Shock horror, disbelief and every other shocking emotion through my head.
Found coins on floor and to my horror 3 x 20 pence pieces lying in ring around filler. Thank god. However I now really don't know if any coins dropped in tank??
So my question to you all. Should I remove tank and find out if there are any in the tank? Leave well alone and hope for the best? What effect could the coins if any cause within tank. Could they block feed etc.
What the hell do i do.  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :( :(

Congrats, you have just doubled the value of your BMW  :P :P :P PS I wouldent worry, cant see than having any adverse effect.
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 08:10:04 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 08:57:30 pm »
apart from the noise of moving coins I doubt the coins would do anything, I know 1p,2p coins will stick to a magnet, not sure about others.

If it were me I would drain it down and go searching

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 10:15:08 pm »
apart from the noise of moving coins I doubt the coins would do anything, I know 1p,2p coins will stick to a magnet, not sure about others.

20p coins aren't magnetic - or at least not enough to fetch out with a 'magic wand'...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 03:23:47 pm by richtea »

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 09:16:15 am »
Morning guys, thanks for you your input and as usual some very unusual comments. (Matt??)
Still not sure if going to go the bother of stripping of tank etc. Sun just came out and hopefully get a few good months of riding bike between now and November. Maybe leave until winter and strip fairings, tank etc an clean up engine bay etc.
Oh well thats it just talked myself into that plan of attack. ::) ::)
Mark Barbour

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 11:11:34 am »
So what have we learned from this little cock-up then Mark?

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 11:34:54 am »
Very good question?
Well Phil, i will never leave home on bike with any coins anywhere near my wallet or pockets in textiles etc.
IPhone now updated with Apple pay etc and debit card will now go everywhere with me.
Who needs money these days??  ;D
Mark Barbour

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 12:21:08 pm »
See, who say's bikers are thick and too old to learn?

Brian (who has no idea who Phil is but then again he has no idea about most things  8) )

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 01:10:02 pm »
I do apologise Brian, where and who is Phil?
Brain fuzzy and first new tyre of the season to shell out for this morning. :-[
Mark Barbour

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 01:52:30 pm »
Nice, shiny new black stuff and that creamy smooth turn-in you have forgotten all about. More like a  ;D than a  :-[

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 01:07:15 pm »
Very true, but Aberdonian in me does not like spending money  :-[
Mark Barbour