Author Topic: How to use 'Search'  (Read 4873 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
How to use 'Search'
« on: November 08, 2018, 11:30:36 am »
A forum search may not reveal as much as you might hope, because the search facility isn't obvious or documented.

Use the Search button next to 'Home', not the 'simple' search box at top right.

Basics
Here are some examples of how to search:

Search -> hand guards + select 'Match all words'
- find posts with BOTH 'hand' AND 'guards', anywhere in the post

Search -> hand guards + select 'Match any words'
- posts with 'hand' OR guards' in them

Search -> "hand guards"
- posts with the exact phrase inside the double quotes

Search -> guard*
- posts with 'guard' plus any other letters

Search -> hand -guard
- posts with 'hand' but NOT 'guard'

Useful
Consider plurals when searching:
     guard
     guards

You will get both sets of results if you search using:
     guard*

The 'Show results as messages' option avoids having to open each message to read it fully.

Notes
There is no 'near match' within the site itself. If you or the poster spell a word wrong, it won't be found:
- helibars (69 matches)
- hellibars (1 match)

If you need 'near match' searching, then try an external engine like Google or Bing to search EuroKClub. An example search of the site is:
     hand guards site:eurokclub.bike

The external results are of variable quality, I've found.

Searches take no notice of upper / lower case.
Phrase searching needs double " ". Single quotes ' ' don't work.
A minor downside of using the * is that the searched word isn't highlighted in the results. You'll have to scan the posts for your words, or Ctrl-F and search the HTML page.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 07:26:17 pm by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: 'Search' - how to use it
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 04:43:31 pm »
I applaud Richard for his persistance in the education department...

And remember kiddies, unless this has changed recently, you MUST be in the relevant part of the site you wish to search. Something you remember was in the Technical Section won't show up in the results if you are in the K Club Lounge when you search.

The answer, especially if you don't know for what you are searching (e.g. Helibars when all you know is you want higher handlebars) is to always go to the top of the EuroKClub menu 'tree' (i.e. the left-most entry in the menu line toward the top of the page). If there is anything to the right of the word 'EuroKClub' you are not searching the whole site.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 10:28:37 pm »

And remember kiddies, unless this has changed recently, you MUST be in the relevant part of the site you wish to search. Something you remember was in the Technical Section won't show up in the results if you are in the K Club Lounge when you search.

In the Advanced Search, which is now the default view, I think the teeny tiny checkbox in the bottom left entitled 'Check all' should do the trick, Brian.
Please can I leave you to confirm that?
Cheers!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 12:34:37 am »
You is correct...if you are using the 'Search' in the 'Home' 'Help' 'Search' 'Admin' etc. etc. menu string.

The problem was if you were using the 'simple' search box at top right which doesn't give you the 'advanced' options. It seems that, having set the default to 'Check all' (which was not available in the simple search) you have now fixed this problem in the simple search function too.

Well done sire!