Author Topic: When is a Full Main Agent History -NOT ?  (Read 7248 times)

Offline Graham55

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S 2005
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW LAZER optional silencer
When is a Full Main Agent History -NOT ?
« on: May 07, 2017, 05:26:04 pm »
Having recently bought my 12 year old K1200s with a 'Full Main Agent History' - fully stamped up by the same Main Agent 11 times - genuine, not fake, I was debating whether or not to take it my local Main BMW Agent for the service which is now due 12 months/6k miles since they last serviced AND sold the bike to the previous owner .
After mulling it over for a while, I thought I may as well buy the parts and do as I have generally done in the past and do my own servicing ( unless I find something a bit too tricky, in which case I will seek help ).
So, I have got the bike on a stand in the garage and starting taking all the panels off, pretty grubby under there - oh well, main agents may service things, but they never bother cleaning anything do they ? especially bits you can't see.
So, got myself 2 nice new air filters - took the old ones out - my word these are very dirty indeed and full of bits of insect to boot. Here we are 23.5 k miles from new and still with 2 air filters in made in 2004 ! ( I have the dates stamped on them  )! I do believe these are the original ones fitted when the bike was new.
Will I be taking any of my bikes to Main Agents for work - Never have done before - pretty unlikely that I ever will after seeing this. 
I phoned the Main Agent in question - not to have a go, but to enquire what parts may have been replaced at previous services ( to save me changing anything unnecessarily ) Spark plugs ? er no, anything in the last 4 or 5 services, er oil and filter, oil and filter ------ hmmm I think I will be doing a full service on this before I even get to ride it.
I guess if the original owner took it in to BMW and said 'change the oil and filter & stamp the book' presumably that is what they would agree to do, but it says service tick or inspection tick, so can you trust anything when it says full BMWSH  ?   They couldn't have done much either last year prior to selling the bike  from their showroom.   

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: When is a Full Main Agent History -NOT ?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 06:14:05 pm »
Books and stamps are not to be trusted, the best way to check any bike (or car) history is to ask for a printout of bike's history availiable fm any dealer for works done at their premises.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 06:28:47 pm »
Well, modern plugs only need doing every 1/4 million miles or so, so they won't have troubled them.

The valve shim clearances used be done at 18k miles but that has gone out to 42 or something nowadays.

The last time I had an issue with filters was when Vines charged me for fitting a new filter to my 1150GS. I asked them what had happened to my K&N; embarrassed looks all round...

Strange they found it and claim they 're-fitted' it for me. Hmmm! Equally strange that it had the K&N label on the filter box lid telling them it had one fitted and not to replace it.....

That was the point at which I asked where they had put the two extra spark plugs as they had charged me for four on a 2002 bike which only ever had one in each head.

Like you, my impression of main dealers went downhill rapidly after that.

Brian (who thinks Tom will be along in a jiffy to tell us it serves us right  8) )

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 08:17:32 pm »
Which is why we need the equivalent of Doc Hacker of the FJOC to look after us

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 11:16:41 pm »
Take a look here for the service intervals. https://www.ascycles.com/pdf/ServiceSchedules/K1300S_12K.pdf

Engine oil and filter every 10,000km

Check valve clearance every 30,000km

Replace spark plugs every 30,000km

Replace air filters every 40,000km

Change final drive oil every 20,000km

I service my bike every 6,000 miles, changing both engine oil and final drive oil.  I check the valve clearances and change spark plugs every 18,000 miles. I do a visual check of the air filters and if they look dirty I change them. I can't imagine that they will last for 24,000 miles.

When I change the plugs they look like they would probably last for 36,000 miles but I change them anyway.

Check closely for any signs of metal particles on the magnetic drain plugs and clean them off fully before refitting them.

My bike is coming up for it's 18,000 mile service but upcoming motorcycling holidays might see me doing an early oil change and possibly leave the valve clearances and spark plugs until I get back, which could be 20,000 miles'ish?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Graham55

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S 2005
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW LAZER optional silencer
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 02:30:06 pm »
Thanks for replies. I appreciate there may be mileage intervals for certain replacement items, most manufacturers specify mileage or time - whichever comes first. I cannot imagine any main dealer of any brand not doing a thorough service on a machine which they have considered to be retail quality ( at 11 years old ), so I just find it very disappointing to see filthy original air filters still in place from when the bike was new. 
I would have added photos to this but cannot work out how to do it, sorry.

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 05:41:10 pm »
Don't worry Graham-someone will be along soon with the BotoPhucket thread link... seems to be a very popular thread that one!

Just editing into my earlier reply...

http://www.eurokclub.bike/index.php/topic,63.0.html
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 05:46:22 pm by OxMan »
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 06:05:22 pm »
I am glad you picked up the Photobucket baton Owen as it does get a bit tedious to keep repeating yourself, repeating yourself.
Not many people think to search first.  :-\

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 07:30:46 pm »
Thanks for replies. I appreciate there may be mileage intervals for certain replacement items, most manufacturers specify mileage or time - whichever comes first. I cannot imagine any main dealer of any brand not doing a thorough service on a machine which they have considered to be retail quality ( at 11 years old ), so I just find it very disappointing to see filthy original air filters still in place from when the bike was new. 
I would have added photos to this but cannot work out how to do it, sorry.
You said your bike had done 23,500 miles and the air filters are scheduled for changing at 24,000 miles. I prefer to do a visual inspection and if they look dirty I change them.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 08:34:35 pm »
What's the general consensus on coolant change intervals, or is done with the valve clearances.

Our generators at work get a coolant change every 5 years as the additives are there for pump lubrication and cylinder liner cavitation

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 10:05:27 pm »
Take a look here for the service intervals. https://www.ascycles.com/pdf/ServiceSchedules/K1300S_12K.pdf

Engine oil and filter every 10,000km

Check valve clearance every 30,000km

Replace spark plugs every 30,000km

Replace air filters every 40,000km

Change final drive oil every 20,000km

I service my bike every 6,000 miles, changing both engine oil and final drive oil.  I check the valve clearances and change spark plugs every 18,000 miles. I do a visual check of the air filters and if they look dirty I change them. I can't imagine that they will last for 24,000 miles.

When I change the plugs they look like they would probably last for 36,000 miles but I change them anyway.

Check closely for any signs of metal particles on the magnetic drain plugs and clean them off fully before refitting them.

My bike is coming up for it's 18,000 mile service but upcoming motorcycling holidays might see me doing an early oil change and possibly leave the valve clearances and spark plugs until I get back, which could be 20,000 miles'ish?

When do you check the nut that holds the bolt that holds the silencer on?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 10:06:17 pm »
What's the general consensus on coolant change intervals, or is done with the valve clearances.

Our generators at work get a coolant change every 5 years as the additives are there for pump lubrication and cylinder liner cavitation

I change mine every time I fit a new radiator 😡

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 05:51:40 am »

I change mine every time I fit a new radiator 😡
Oops..
Make note: Don't ask any coolant or radiator related questions  :-\

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 12:32:35 pm »
On a serious note (for once) it should never need 'changing' assuming nothing else changes.

On a high mileage bike, flushing the rad and the block through always used to be standard practice to get the sludge out of the system.

Modern alloys and coolants mean much less sludge.

Keep an eye on the level (assuming you have right-angled vision) and keep it topped up and it should be good for years.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 06:05:31 am »
Thanks. I guess if ever manage to get the mileage up to the dizzy heights required for a valve clearance check I'll replace it then.