Author Topic: Radiator cleaning  (Read 25943 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Radiator cleaning
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2018, 12:47:10 pm »
I'm in! Supporting rod off - had to do both ends, but no problems - both circlips are in v good nick.
Electric connector for the fan had me beaten for 10 mins, but a twist of the holder and it's off. D'oh.

Now soaking it. Exciting times.  ::) ::)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2018, 11:01:28 pm »
The fan can be removed without undoing any of the radiator fixings.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2018, 04:15:40 pm »
Radiator cleaned. Now one notch lower when riding on the open road (3 notches), That's where it was when I bought it 4 years back, which is good.
Still up to 4 notches after a few minutes in town, but stable. Good for another year or so, hopefully.

For most of the radiator it was just water through from the back - plus a soft toothbrush up and down in the fin direction on the front, to loosen stuff.

For the caked on stuff in the bottom left and right corners, I tried poking with a small cable tie - which was OK on the softer bits, but it bent on the stuck-hard stuff, which then bends the fin(s). Eek.
Also tried a cocktail stick, too big. Settled on a very thin piece of wire in the end, for the hard stuff.

I also found where the odd washer came from - the plastic radiator cover has two gromit-like fittings that you screw into. They have washers tucked inside them.

Only one mystery left - where the one extra longer screw goes. I have three, and I know where two go...  ???
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 04:28:14 pm by richtea »

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 30TH ANNI
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2018, 04:21:20 pm »
Well done that man. Glad to hear you've had confirmation that your hard work has paid off in the bike running more stable temps overall. Win-win!  ;D
In the name of God, please let me die in peace! Voltaire...

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2018, 07:00:08 pm »
As I said many times before it's not the design it's the mixture services use in UK road,  otherwise how can be explained  that the radiator issue only appears in UK operated bikes?
Embrace the wind.

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2018, 05:51:02 pm »
Hello guys, Mick here, I have a 14 plate K1300R for about a yer now. We  had a spirited ride home from Oulton park on Monday and thought the bike was running pretty warm so I checked the forum and was a  little concerned and as we're off the Le Mans next week
I thought I'd better check it out. Now the guy I had it off didn't ride in the wet and I dont have to and when i stripped the cowls off the rad wasn't too bad but i decided to clean it anyway.
I must say i'm not too impressed with the design! The 100mm crud guard in the middle dosen't help very much or the fan mounting frame. together they must restrict airflow.
Anyway, I had a little trouble washing it out from the back so I made a lance up to make it easier. It's just a Hozelock fitting , a BSP reducer bush, a length of 10mm alloy tube and a grub screw. I've put some pix on but it's all pretty self explanatory

[img]IMG_1671.jpg/img]
[img]IMG_1674.jpg/img]

Best regards  Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2018, 07:06:41 pm »
Hello Sutty,

I also had a spirited ride home from Oulton, down the A49. It was my radiator test day - it ran 3 or 4 notches but didn't overheat, which was a solid test, especially at the 26- 28C(?) temperature, and sitting in near-stationary traffic near the circuit ;D

Re: pictures:
- you cannot upload an image directly to this forum, for the simple reason that our storage space is very limited. We would be overrun within 3 days!

Instructions onhow to get images inline in your message are here in the 'How to - Technical Section':

http://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=63.0
and
http://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=2500.0

To be specific, you have to use a cloud-based image service, so Google and Imgbb are the obvious candidates. I've also used Flickr successfully. (Most people have stopped using PhotoBucket because they now charge, so avoid them.)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 07:08:21 pm by richtea »

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2018, 07:36:27 pm »
Cheers.

Regards   Mick

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2018, 07:40:52 pm »
Richtea, might have seen you at the garage out side Whitchurch, were you with a guy on a Benelli ?

Mick

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2018, 08:35:06 pm »
Ah! I was in a garage on the Whitchurch by-pass in the morning - filling up my red K1300S - on the way up.
There was a bike on the other side of the pumps as I left, but I didn't see the make. Maybe it was the Benelli?

Slightly amusing but mildy scary at the time:
- I entered the circuit at the back, near the Knickerbrook hairpin area. Seeing as it was so hot, I decided to park in the shade of the wood - little knowing that the ground was totally waterlogged just as you got to the edge of the wood. There were other bikes parked within 2m of where I was heading, so it looked fine.
I rolled up and the front sunk straight in - right up the wheel+rim depth. Shit. Get off balancing the oddly low bike, rock back, rock forward, back, forward, back, forward - I couldn't bump it out. Luckily a very kind bloke came up and gave me a shove backwards. Even after that, it was a massive battle just to push the bloody thing back onto solid grass.
'Sweaty' doesn't really do justice to my state at that point - full leathers, gloves and helmet all still zipped/closed - couldn't let go of the bike to get any kit off.
I had a little slump and a prayer of thanks once the centre stand was down and solid. God bless centre stands!  ;D 8) :P

On leaving, there was so much mud on both wheels, my rear hugger was grumbling as the mud clipped it, and was pinging bits of mud everywhere. Had to stop and scrape great chunks off both wheels before hitting the real tarmac.

A good day, and fab ride home, though. It usually gets a bit chilly by the time I get home (8:30-9pm), but it was still 21C. Balmy and barmy.

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2018, 10:58:33 pm »
It wasn't you richtea. This was on the way home, no issues on parking, we parked on tarmac under trees.  In fact we had no problems at all.  Just the warm engine. I'll post the pix.

Mick

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2018, 10:02:51 pm »
Here's the pix of the rad flushing lance.

Best regards  Mick

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2018, 07:19:41 am »
No photos showing, Mick.
You'll need to pay Photobucket (madness!), or upload them to a free hosting service like Imgbb, Google, or Flickr.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2018, 07:19:53 am »
Ah Photobucket, it showed so much promise then failed dismally..

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2018, 07:48:28 am »
Photobucket didn't fail, they got greedy.
Don't know why he changed the post photos were showing fine yesterday.