Author Topic: Thermal gloves  (Read 4798 times)

gibbo

Thermal gloves
« on: September 28, 2016, 09:26:21 am »
I'm looking for some recommendation on a good pair of thermal gloves for the coming winter. Apart from TomL's glove balm and Rae's Dane Tyril gloves, there's very little in this section on the subject.
So, what will you be wearing this coming winter to keep your little piggies warm? I'm not so worried about the waterproofing aspect and I'm not interested in 'plug in' heated gloves.
I look forward to your recommendations. The more info you can supply the better for all of us.
Thanks
Jon

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Thermal gloves
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 10:38:53 am »
The Dane Tyril are not winter gloves. I bought at the same time a pair of Richa Cold Protect which are proper winter gloves and I also did the bucket test which they passed with flying colours. I haven't worn them in anger yet and will report back when I do. I think the Rich Cold Protect came top in one of the winter glove reviews, it might have been Visor Down can't remember.

Found it here
http://www.visordown.com/features/products/richa-cold-protect-gtx

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 03:43:42 pm by raesewell »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 10:48:23 am »
The hottest gloves I own are BMW's own Winter Glove. Mine are an old vintage but the modern ones are just as excellent.

These are way too warm for me to wear on a day like today (15 deg and climbing) unless you have zero circulation. They are totally waterproof! However, the huge downside is they also have zero protection in the event of a spill.

My go-to winter glove for most riding days are my Alpinestars 365, totally waterproof, the same or better protection than my summer Alpinestars GP Pro's and warm enough for all day riding without heated grips for me. This is on a K12/13S which has reasonable hand protection from the aerodynamics of the fairing binnacle.

With my winter Barkbuster handguards fitted I expect to be able to ride in my summer gloves on all but the worst days.

I have used heated grips perhaps a dozen times in the last 15 years of bikes with them fitted so you can tell I don't have cold mits. On the recent run up to Oulton Park which was a reasonably warm 18-20 degrees (and only 12 when I left home) Richard commented that he had been using his on the ride. I thought he was bonkers as I was fine in my summer gloves.

Alpinestars sizing is worse than my TCX boots sizing. I take a size 10/Large in the GP Pro's and yet need an XL in the 365's.

I also have a pair of Knox SPS OutDry winter gloves. As warm, if not warmer, waterproof and comfy as the Alpinestars with excellent Scaphoid protection (the SPS bit), palm sliders and hard knuckle covers but no fnger protection or outside edge sliders. The downside is the unique (wonder why?) ratchet fastening system which is a bugger to get under a jacket cuff. Large/10 again in these.

By far the best 'winter gloves' I own however, are a pair of Hein Gericke neoprene Lobster Claw over-mitts. These are amazing and live in my Sport Cases all year round. I will never ride anywhere without these on board. They have split fingers, so first and second are in one mitt and third and fourth are in a second mitt, so you look like a lobster with three 'claws' as it were. I was sceptical about these things which are made of the same stuff as wet suits, are fully seam bonded, warm as hell, totally waterproof, pack flat, pull on over your ordinary gloves and have saved my hands on many a long cold wet night when I wasn't expecting cold and wet!

Over-mitts sound clunky and clumsy but the beauty of these is that you can still articulate your right hand fingers for throttle and brake cover at the same time which you can't with a full over-mitt. The first few miles were a weird experience, after that I forgot I was wearing them. Difficult to pick your nose in them though  ???

L to R are Alpinestars GP Pro summer gloves, Apinestars 365's, Knox SPS, Hein Gericke Lobster Claws

Brian (who seems to have warm hands and you know what they say  8) )
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:04:34 pm by Phmode »

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 11:03:18 am »
Back in the sixties I used sheepskin mitts with Barbour over mitts. My hands were always warm.
Now I uses my Racer gloves with heated grips and a nice pair of bar muffs.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT 2008
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 11:56:07 am »
Hein Gericke Pathans for me, toasty warm and waterproof

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 01:24:36 pm »
Hein Gericke Pathans for me, toasty warm and waterproof
Hein Gericke gear is a bit sparse in the UK these days and difficult to get to try on.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 01:37:36 pm »
The company had gone through a difficult Reconstruction program due to fiscal issues , but now is up and selling , good staff as always,  one can imagine that now with problems over someone there would start proper representation.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Steve CH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2012 K1300S
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 03:28:40 pm »
I have used Richa gloves (marked waterproof/ breathable) for winter commuting never had cold hands with these they also have knuckle protection.

Steve
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 04:37:10 pm »
Aren't the Held two finger gloves supposed to be good?
I think they were the first to do the two finger gloves.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 09:37:13 pm »
I live with Dainese Goretex + heated grips.
Waterproof but leather + you can feel the controls.

I can't seem to see my exact gloves (old design?), but these are very similar spec:
http://www.dainese.com/en_en/guanto-ergotour-gtx-x-trafit-75549.html

Not sure they would pass Rae's bucket test after a few years, but I still love them.

And you can wear them up to about 25C or so and not get completely sweaty.
They're not deep winter gloves though. But then again, nor am I a deep winter biker - only on clear winter days for me... softy.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 10:53:02 pm »
Apart from being waterproof making sure the lining is secured in the fingers so as not to pull out or bunch up when wet is important for a winter glove.
Nothing worse than not being able to get you finger/s back in the glove.
I bought my Racer gloves from Hideout Leathers on the understanding it wouldn't happen but if it did they would take them back and refund my money. Eighteen months or so on all is OK.

gibbo

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 07:46:53 am »
Thanks for all the recommendations chaps. I'll have a good sift through your info and make some enquiries. I was in Fowlers (Bristol) the other day trying on a few pairs and the choice was mind boggling. The glove sizes seem all to cock as well. My hands are smallish but even some XL sizes seemed a bit tight.  :o

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 08:12:21 am »
I’ve always found that any glove thick enough to really keep your hands warm will be too thick to allow any real feel. This, I find, makes switch operation difficult and, much more importantly, significantly limits the "brain to front wheel" interface that is soooo important, especially when the weather is cold and wet.

The best gloves I have used for keeping my hands working and not too cold are Held Gore-Tex gloves. They are superbly made and come with a visor wipe on the left index finger. The also come in three different lengths for each size meaning, as someone with long, thin hands, I can still get gloves that actually fit.

My previous pair of Held Gore-Tex gloves did over 5 years’ service, including 2 hour each way commutes to London with temperatures  down as low as zero and only the heated grips to help. The backs of my hands were still cold but not uncomfortably so and, had I needed to at any time, I could have carried on riding still with full use of my fingers.

I replaced them with a pair of AlpineStars 365 gloves as they were in the shop I was in and Held gloves weren’t. Big mistake! The AStars are OK but nowhere near as good as the Held.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 09:08:04 am »
BMW Winter Pro suit me.
GSA, CCM GP450, Moto Guzzi Lemans II. Once had a K1200GT

Offline Niall

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08 K12GT SE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: More lights than a mod scooter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 10:28:03 am »
Gerbing heated...

Waterproof and when controlled through a thermostat, as warm (or cool) as you like
Sospes persantas? Age! Fac ut diem...