Author Topic: New to me  (Read 7640 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: New to me
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2018, 08:41:26 am »
Having been one of those following a K1300S Motorsport with its baffle out around the Picos, I can tell you that everyone was recommending the reinstallation of the baffle at the earliest possible opportunity.  ;)

Was that the entire population's recommendation or just the Old Gits?

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2018, 09:49:21 am »
Having been one of those following a K1300S Motorsport with its baffle out around the Picos, I can tell you that everyone was recommending the reinstallation of the baffle at the earliest possible opportunity.  ;)

Was that the entire population's recommendation or just the Old Gits?

Both!!!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2018, 10:06:39 am »
 ;D ;D :D

That's it, mine's staying in.

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 30TH ANNI
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2018, 05:37:21 pm »
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES and I need all the help I can muster.....  ::)
In the name of God, please let me die in peace! Voltaire...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2018, 06:06:12 pm »
How do you feel about Corsas on full bass blasting out along the high street?
Now translate that to a motorbike, and that's how the general population view a loud exhaust - intrusive and selfish.

Some exhaust note is fine, but with the flap open (on an overtake for example) it sounds overkill to me.
I'll stick a baffle in, and see how I feel then.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2018, 06:22:33 pm »
Calmer, more serene, placid, slow, unobtrusive, elderly. On the outside!

On the inside, yer still a kid in a toy shop and it goes just as fast  8)

Offline slparry

• View Profile
    • My webspace
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2018, 06:38:09 pm »

Disagree, at speed loud pipes sounds are wailing behind the bike and aren't noticed until the vehicle goes past you, in slow traffic the sounds just blend into the general noise of the traffic, especially to a car driver who's got the radio on etc.

I have a friend who teaches driving fire appliances and he is very dismissive of dayglo and loud pipes as he often gets drivers pulling out on a big red fire engine with blues and twos on.

Relying on the sound is a flawed safety strategy, relying on good observation, positioning, appropriate speed and good training is far more sound
--

Steve Parry
Sales @ Chester KTM
Oppressed since 1958

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '90 K1 .... '15 R12RT LC LE :D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2018, 07:05:06 pm »
Apart from the biker who swapped lanes in trickling traffic into the side of my car, the best SMIDSY I ever hear about was to the biker who was knocked off on a roundabout by a chap entering it.

The biker made allowances for the fact that he was making progress and only really objected when he got the usual SMIDSY.

But, as the account in the paper said at the time, he couldn't understand how anyone could miss a rider in full-dress day-glow and white riding a big day-glow yellow BMW with full blue lights and sirens wailing.

It can happen to anyone and the best defence is to assume you are invisible, not invincible!

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2018, 02:53:02 pm »
OK, free-flowing Akra v baffled Akra v std exhaust.

I used this Android app for dB measurement:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dmytro.com.decibelmeter

2. I held the phone about 0.5m from exhaust, slightly above it

Fairly unscientific methodology, but OK for comparison tests:

1. Akra free-flowing:
idle 70dB
5,000 revs 75dB

12. Akra baffled:
idle 68dB
5,000 revs 73dB

3. Standard exhaust:
idle 68dB
5,000 revs 73dB

So the baffled Akra and the std exhaust were the same.
The 2dB difference doesn't sound (ha) like a lot, but it is when you're stood there holding the throttle at 5,000 revs.

In summary, the baffle has done it's job, and my noise problem should be solved.
I do actually need to go and ride it, but I'm fairly happy since I could tell standing there, that it was on par with the std exhaust.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2018, 03:18:05 pm »
Remember that +3bd = double the noise!

Edit to correct db value for double noise.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 08:49:37 am by black-k1 »
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2018, 02:50:28 pm »

Disagree, at speed loud pipes sounds are wailing behind the bike and aren't noticed until the vehicle goes past you, in slow traffic the sounds just blend into the general noise of the traffic, especially to a car driver who's got the radio on etc.

I have a friend who teaches driving fire appliances and he is very dismissive of dayglo and loud pipes as he often gets drivers pulling out on a big red fire engine with blues and twos on.

Relying on the sound is a flawed safety strategy, relying on good observation, positioning, appropriate speed and good training is far more sound

Agree about the training thing. The wife and I did a weekend training with an ex-Police Scotland motorcycle trainer and we both benefitted from it greatly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtkBkQovBuw&t=3s

We both passed the enhanced rider scheme, FWIW.

http://www.get2grips.co.uk/about-us.html

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 02:56:54 pm by TurboBevy »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2018, 04:27:00 pm »
Agree about the training thing. The wife and I did a weekend training with an ex-Police Scotland motorcycle trainer and we both benefitted from it greatly.

Cheers.

Excellent video, Turbo - very good commentary. I thought at first he had added it afterwards, but maybe it was live. If so, even more impressive.
Good to hear him stirring the box coming up to potential overtakes, and all the 'look for hedge gaps, houses', etc

Strange sounding bike he had - a big twin?

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2018, 05:34:10 pm »

Cheers.

Excellent video, Turbo - very good commentary. I thought at first he had added it afterwards, but maybe it was live. If so, even more impressive.
Good to hear him stirring the box coming up to potential overtakes, and all the 'look for hedge gaps, houses', etc

Strange sounding bike he had - a big twin?

Thanks. Roddy can't half go a bike! FFS. The first video comms isn't live, he had a problem with his then brand new dictaphone device, but the rest of the videos are. Roddy rides an old, but good, K1100RS as his 'work' bike - it keeps up with R1s and the like was his words and he doesn't need to worry about stone chips. Somewhat unnerving having an ex-copper riding 6 foot, or less, off your rear wheel constantly seaking out the best view ahead, to begin with. But you get used to it and soon begin to trust him completely. He's a lovely bloke and a superb trainer. Great roads up here too so worth the travel/money.

Moar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg6swwM2w5o&t=16s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCQi4OlE3a0

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 05:55:44 pm by TurboBevy »